Book Conservator Position at the Folger Shakespeare Library
The Folger Shakespeare Library, in Washington, D.C., is seeking qualified candidates for the permanent, fulltime, exempt position as a Book Conservator to work in the Werner Gundersheimer Conservation Laboratory. The Book Conservator works under the direction of the Eric Weinmann Head of Conservation and with a small team of conservators. The Book Conservator will have primary responsibility for complex treatments of rare bound material items from the Folger’s printed book and manuscript collection and participates in all activities carried out by the conservation lab including exhibition and loan preparation and installation.
- B.A. or equivalent experience required and at least six additional years of hands-on, specialized book and paper conservation experience.
- Excellent handskills related to conservation treatments.
- Sound knowledge of organic and physical chemistry as applied to conservation and preservation treatments required.
- Thorough understanding of the history of the book, the chemistry of materials and the ability to recognize and analyze damages to rare materials and select and perform appropriate treatments.
- Competency using advanced technical equipment related to conservation practice including photography equipment.
- Experience in exhibition preparation and installation as well as designing and creating bookmounts preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills necessary.
- Ability to solve problems, organize time, set priorities and work independently.
- Proficiency with computer programs like Word, Excel, Power Point and Photo Shop. Experience with FilemakerPro would be advantageous.
Normal working hours Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with flexibility required for special conservation projects. Please submit cover letter describing interest and experience along with a resume by May 30, 2013 to Folger Shakespeare Library, Attn: HR/Book Conservator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at 201 East Capitol Street SE, Washington, DC 20003-1004 . EOE.